Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cake-ing

Since the beginning of our relationship Chris and I have bonded over our love of sweets. Naturally this includes sweets and the FREAKING AMAZING desire to find the best cupcake in the bay area, possibly the world. This has included stops at many bay area cup-cakeries some of whom left us poorer and saddened. Seriously, how are you in business when Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines make something better out of a box and a plastic tube?!?! Anyway, we love cake. More importantly we love ice cream, candy, and frosting. Our love of cake is that, if well done, it makes a phenomenal vessel for frosting.

Now this relates to our wedding because for several months Chris and I would venture to Lucky's on Saturdays for a cupcake and when he proposed he bought my favorite cupcake flavor in cake to use during the proposal. I even got their Belle cake for my birthday! :) There have also been Costco cakes, Buttery cupcakes, home made cakes, ice cream pies... You get the idea. So, how were we going to choose a single cake for the wedding? We decided early on were probably were not. We want cakes and cupcakes that have meant something to us over the course of our time together. A CAKE BAR!!!

(This is also important since Chris loves chocolate and I think it is, at best, okay. I however love white, vanilla, lemon, raspberry, lime, most things pink... You get the idea - we have different tastes.)

My mom is not the worlds biggest fan of this idea but she really has taken it better than I thought. I think she is holding out for a massive take over of my sister's wedding. Watch out Lindsay... Anyway, we aren't alone in eschewing tradition here. We have friends who are having a Sunday bar... yep, ice cream + toppings + true love = happy guests and a great wedding.

Anyway, we are still interested in pursuing the best possible cakes for our wedding so our pursuit of the best cakes and cupcakes continues. I am guessing this pursuit won't end on August 28th... :)


PS If you live in or near SLO and find this blog (who knows HOW!) try Two Little Birdies Bakery in Paso Robles. I have heard it is amazing and the owner is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. This is on our list of places to go. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment