Friday, February 12, 2010

Totally unrelated... but not really

2/12/2010

I heard someone named Carnie Wilson talking about struggling with her weight loss online today. Not sure who she is but I think I am suppose to... Anyway, apparently she is well known and morbidly obese weighing over 300 pounds before gastric bypass. After that surgery she was around 150 but two kids later she has gained about 70 pounds. That is not the important part. The important part was when she was talking she said, "It is a constant battle for me. I go from I'm successful. I'm failing, failing. I'm successful. I'm failing." Now, I am not morbidly obese but since I am human I always have room for improvement however what struck me was how painful those words were as they came from her lips: "I'm successful. I'm failing." So ofter in life we only allow ourselves those two settings. By nature I am dualistic so perhaps I fall into that trap more easily than others but in my bones I felt the pain that comes with that roller-coaster ride. It is applicable to relationships, jobs, weight, love, goals, SO MANY things. So often I end up placing so much of my self worth in those successes that I feel like I cannot stand after I fall. I do not believe I am alone in this struggle. For some reason this was so powerful and I knew exactly what she was talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment